Recipe from tasteofcuba.com
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- Blanch the almonds and remove the skins. Toast the almonds with hazelnuts in a pan. Stir constantly. Remove the peel from hazelnuts. Chop them fine. Beat the egg whites and add to nuts.
- In the pan, mix the honey and sugar and melt over heat. Add the nut paste, mix and stir constantly for ten minutes and remove from heat.
- Put in shallow dish lined with rice paper (See notes below). When cold, sprinkle cinnamon on top. Cut into small pieces when set.
Rice paper can be bought from supermarkets. Alternatively, it can be made at home. Recipe below:
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 to 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mix rice flour and tapioca flour in a bowl. Add in the corn starch and salt. Add 1 tbsp oil and water to mix it to make a thin batter.
- Heat a pan and add the rest of the oil. Pour batter like a pancake and cover it with a lid for 30 seconds.
- Remove cover and put it on a greased cutting board to get the desired shape.