I had some left over jackfruit and was looking for a sweet dish from them. I got this recipe from http://www.smithakalluraya.com/2016/06/jackfruit-idli-halasina-hannina-kadubu.html. I tried it and it came out well. I believe the dish is famous in Coastal Karnataka.
Makes about 8-10 idlis
- 1 cup raw rice rava (See note)
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups ripe jackfruit, deseeded and chopped coarsely
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery, add more or less as per your taste
- 2 – 3 cardamom
- Salt, a pinch
- Oil to grease mould
- In a mixer, grind jackfruit and jaggery with little or no water to a coarse paste.
- Add grated coconut and cardamom and grind everything to a fine paste and add it in a mixing bowl.
- Add rice rava and salt a little water. Mix well and allow to stand for about 20 minutes. The consistency should be a little thicker than idli batter.
- Grease idli moulds with oil and pour the mixture into them.
- Steam for about 15 minutes. It is done when a toothpick or a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the idlis.
- Serve hot.
To make rice rava, soak raw rice in water for an hour, drain it on a cloth for an hour or two and dry grind it to a coarse semolina (rava) consistency.