29 March 2018

Greek Pastichio (Pastitsio)

I wanted to do an authentic, traditional Pastitsio for my Greek Food week in October 2016. I was looking at a flood of recipes and was not sure if they were authentic when I suddenly came upon this video on my screen. I decided that this was original and authentic when the person in the video was very particular about how certain things were done to honour the Greek heritage. I was so taken up by the video that I visited her blog immediately and found so many other Greek dishes there too. I was so happy that I found this blog. Thank you, Didi, for the recipe and the blog!!!. Of course, as usual, I could not find some ingredients in my place and had to do some substitutions. But the end product was definitely out of the world and my two nieces could vouch for that. Recipe and video here: http://www.dishinwithdidi.com/2013/03/homemade-greek-pastichio-video.html

Serves 4

Ingredients
For the Sauce:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I used 450 grams fresh tomatoes, pureed in a blender)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 stick cinnamon or 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Bechamel (White Sauce):
  • 2 cups milk
  • 55 grams butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 5 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 cup Kefalotyri cheese (I used Parmesan)
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg 
For the Pasta:
  • 225 grams long macaroni (I used Penne Rigate)
  • 1/2 cup Kefalotyri (I used Parmesan)
For the Topping:
  • 1 tbsp Kefalotyri (I used Parmesan)
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Preparation
  • Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan with a couple of pinches of salt.
  • In another large saucepan, add the ground beef and saute till completely browned. Add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes till onions are soft and succulent. Add the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste and the cinnamon. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Add the pasta now to the boiling water and allow to boil till al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain the pasta and keep it under running water to stop the cooking process. Drain well, add to a large bowl and sprinkle the cheese. Toss to mix well.
  • Take a baking pan and brush it with butter. Arrange the pasta, one next to the other facing one direction. Now add the beef mixture over the pasta.
  • Meanwhile, take another saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour and cook for a minute. Then add the milk, whisking all the time till the bechamel thickens, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, add in the cheese, pepper, salt and nutmeg.
  • In a small bowl, ladle 2 to 3 spoonfuls of the hot bechamel. Add the beaten eggs to it. Once incorporated, add the tempered Bechamel to the bechamel in the saucepan. Whisk thoroughly to mix well. 
  • Pour the now tempered Bechamel sauce over the beef mixture in the baking pan, sprinkle with a topping of cheese and some nutmeg and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degree Celsius for about 55 minutes or till the edges are starting to become brown. 
  • Remove from the oven, let rest for about 20 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment