I happened to watch this recipe on some food channel. It seemed so easy and yummy that I immediately set about doing it. Lucky I had all the ingredients in hand.
- 2 bananas, cut into thick diagonal slices
- 50 grams self raising flour (Use 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt with 1 cup flour for homemade self raising flour)
- 25 grams corn starch + some for dusting
- 90 ml water
- 1 tsp oil
- Oil for deep frying
- 120 grams sugar
- Black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Mix self raising flour, corn starch and water into a smooth batter. Add a tsp of oil and mix it well. (The oil is supposed to make it puffy.)
- Heat oil in a deep pan
- Dust the banana slices in corn starch, dip them in the batter and cook them in the hot oil in batches until crisp and golden brown.
- In a heavy pan, add the sugar over medium heat and keep stirring it till it just forms a caramel (just as it turns brown). Switch off immediately and remove from the stove.
- Toss the fried banana slices one after the other to coat them completely in the caramel and drop them immediately into a large bowl of ice water. This will set the caramel.
- Almost immediately, drain them and sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds.
- Serve hot immediately or with ice cream.
It is very important to coat the bananas immediately in the caramel before the caramel hardens.